REGISTRATION OPEN FOR DUBROVNIK ATROCITY PREVENTION SCHOOL
This course takes place 26-30 September 2019 at the Inter-University Centre in Dubrovnik, Croatia.
ATROCITY PREVENTION AND HUMAN RIGHTS: IMPLEMENTING THE RESPONSIBILITY TO PROTECT IN EUROPE AND BEYOND
This is a five-day, intensive summer school focused on atrocity prevention taking place end of September in Dubrovnik, Croatia. This course targets graduate students with a strong interest in the fields of atrocity prevention and R2P, and anyone really interested in these topics.
The Dubrovnik Atrocity Prevention School will introduce participants to the foundations and challenges of atrocity prevention and put special emphasis on the practice and implementation of the “responsibility to protect” (R2P) principle agreed by all UN member states in 2005. More specifically, course participants will, inter alia, learn to:
– identify risks for atrocity crimes in a given society
– understand the relationship between certain types of human rights violations and atrocity crimes/risks
– consider which preventive and responsive measures are available in such situation
– analyze the challenges that exist at the national, regional and international level to effective and timely atrocity prevention
– understand the gendered dimensions of atrocity crimes and prevention
– examine good practices that exist in the field of atrocity prevention
– evaluate the potential and impact of various mechanisms and institutions that work on atrocity prevention at the national, regional and international level
– assess the role civil society and regional organizations can play in atrocity prevention
The course will create a new group of young leaders on atrocity prevention. The Dubrovnik Atrocity Prevention School will offer all alumni the ability to join an online network to build on the course experience and remain connected with other participants as well as the course directors and other resource persons. This will help to build a community of R2P practitioners.
Who should sign up?
The course targets graduate students with a strong academic record and a documented interest in the field of atrocity prevention and R2P. All teaching is conducted in English.
Course Fee, Accommodation and Course Venue
The course will take place at the Inter-University Centre in Dubrovnik, Croatia. Details of the venue are available here
Cost to participants: Course fee of 100 Euros, payable to the Inter-University Centre, Dubrovnik. Participants are responsible for arranging their own travels and their own accommodation in Dubrovnik (Rooms are available from 40 Euros per night at the Inter-University Centre, for bookings: https://www.dormitory.hr/)
For any questions, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with the Course Directors, including contacting Professor Alexander Bellamy (email@example.com ), Dr Martin Mennecke (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Dr Cristina Stefan (email@example.com).